Monday, November 12, 2007

Book News, In Brief

I had no idea that the Miami Book Fair was such a big deal. It makes sense, though, considering the state's reputation as a retirement mecca. Those wealthy old folks do nothing but read and reminisce and find new ways to conceal their old racist ideologies. I kid, I kid...I love old people. My grandparents were old. So was Gandalf. Anyway, for a complete review of the MBF, video clips, and some Rosie O'Donnell gossip, head on over to the Miami Herald, MiamiTV 4, and the official website. Oh, and don't forget your reading glasses. None of these sites currently offer large print versions.

Andrew Morton, dirt-disher extraordinaire, is set to publish a new biography about every woman's dream Lamaze partner, Tom Cruise. According to Morton, the book offers so much dirt on Cruise's personal life, sexuality, religious beliefs, etc, that he has had to go into hiding for fear of losing his life. "I have received threats from the Scientologists, and things have become pretty heavy - to the extent that it's almost more than my lawyers can handle. I've sold my flat and I'm not telling anyone where I'm moving to. I intend to disappear for a while."
(Note to Morton's publishers: He told me to tell you to just go ahead and send his checks here, care of me. We all feel that for now, it's safer that way.)

Norman Mailer is dead at age 84. Listed below are are a slew of links to various tributes, obits and career summaries.
New Yorker Magazine
New York Times obituary
San Fran Chronicle
Publishers Weekly
Time Magazine
Mailer on The Charlie Rose Show
Recent interview with The UK Guardian